(773) 329-5871 firstname.lastname@example.org linkedin.com/in/jackierodgers
I have led the reimaging of communications and marketing departments at multiple organizations. Whether devising the organization’s largest annual report or crafting a simple tweet to gaining the support of stakeholders, I have led positive outcomes. I am comfortable working with all levels within an organization.
Director of Communications and Advocacy January 2020-March 2022
- Led communications, marketing and advocacy for Chicago’s leading arts education advocacy backbone organization, charged with bringing equitable arts education to all Chicago Public Schools (CPS).
- Helped drive the final advocacy stages that led to Illinois becoming one of the first states to recognize arts education as a weighted measure in its Every Students Succeeds Act plan.
- Created the organization’s first Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plan, serving as a committee member.
- Collaborated with all internal teams on public facing documents, presentations, scripts, op-eds, newsletter.
- Led creation of all content for organization’s website, social media, blogs, videos, organizational statements.
- Led process of all organizational data report releases, such as the State of the Arts Report and Data Snapshots
- Created press releases, media pitches resulting in local and national placements.
- Regularly interfaced with CPS, Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, arts education sector, and peer arts advocacy organizations.
Director of Marketing and Communications August 2018—November 2019
Hired as first marketing director in company’s 26-year history
- Led the re-branding of the company, including creation of an updated logo.
- Created impactful video storytelling campaigns to tell the authentic stories of patients and company staff. Story pitch resulted in a news segment story on NBC 5 Chicago.
- Established strategic marketing planning and protocols throughout the company. Introduced company to geo target marketing as a tool to activate in hospitals and health care settings.
- Utilized ROI data sets to inform future marketing decisions.
- Created comprehensive social media presence and paid media campaigns.
Illinois State Board of Education
Chief Communications and Partnerships Officer January 2016 - February 2018
Led a team of six in creation and oversight of all internal and external marketing and communications at ISBE:
- Increased website traffic dramatically by leading the re-design and content upgrade for the new ISBE website. https://www.isbe.net. The design is responsive, intuitive, and mobile-friendly.
- Changed media relations from response-oriented to proactive with storytelling a centered strategy.
- Increased the number of subscribers to the Superintendent’s Weekly message.
- Created agency’s first editorial and branding guidelines.
- Improved quality of mandated publications and guided release of the award-winning Illinois State Report Card.
- Expanded social media audiences by implementing new tools and targeted audience posts.
- Promoted from Executive Director, Collaboration and Quality Implementation after 6 months.
Chicago Public Schools
Executive Director, Digital and Marketing January 2013 - January 2016
Led a team of five to create all branding, marketing, digital and social media efforts
- Conceived and served as Executive Producer of district’s first a bi-weekly news magazine webcast, “Inside CPS.” https://www.youtube.com/user/ChiPubSchools. The show spotlighted students, teachers, District initiatives.
- Led the redesign of the CPS logo here.
- Collaborated with IT to redesign of CPS website—first overhaul since 2008. The responsive, mobile-first design was touted as a first for a major school district.
- Optimized rapid expansion of extensive social media and digital platforms. In less than one year:
- Grew Facebook followers more than 600%, from less than 6,000 to more than 38,000.
- Increased Twitter followers 700%, from less than 4,000 more than 28,000.
- Awarded Crain’s Chicago Business “Best Use of Twitter.“
- Initiated two e-newsletters and a blog aimed at staff, parents and stakeholders.
Sports and Entertainment Marketing/Public Relations Consultant, Owner September 2011 - January 2013
Formulated marketing strategy, media outreach, event coordination and sponsorship opportunities for athletes, brands and properties:
- Sean Johnson of the USMNT and MLS.
- Manchester United Football Club: Provided stateside consultation, resulting in full-capacity fan and community outreach events in multiple U.S. cities.
- Ridgeline Entertainment: Provided consultation on Facebook platform integration from the producers of the “Deadliest Catch.”
- Reach Out Community Center NFP: Created playbook for fundraising, corporate solicitation, social media.
Marketing Manager, Latino Initiatives, Soccer, Local Marketing July 2003 - September 2011
- Delivered $2.25-$1 profit ROI on Best Buy’s Chicago Fire Sponsorship, determined by Navigate Marketing to be in top 2% of all their evaluated sponsorships.
- Leveraged local Chicago Fire sponsorship into a national reach by activating 27 away market customer events and creating national partnerships. Helped resurrect Panasonics dormant MLS sponsorship, leading to YOY increase in its TV sales in Best Buy stores.
- Negotiated deal for Chicago Fire’s Cuauhtémoc Blanco appear on front and rear covers of EA Sports FIFA 10.
- Managed more than $15 million in global soccer sponsorships.
- Increased YoY TV sales by directing Best Buy’s World Cup 2010 marketing efforts across all store teams.
- Managed Best Buy’s first and only integrated international marketing campaign with USA, Canada, UK, China, Mexico and Turkey. Directed $5M Univision buy, slashed activation costs and increased reach by executing vendor partnerships and promotions with Sony, EA Sports, and Coca Cola.
- Team drove one-year incremental revenue of $93M and drove double-digit same-store Latino customer comps.
- Drove profitable financial gains as regional leader of initiative to increase sales to female customers.
We’re There Pet Care, Inc.
President, Owner, Founder April 1990 - October 2002
Founded one of Chicago’s first pet sitting services and innovated concept of upscale pet sitting.
- Generated more than $250,000 in annual revenue, growing company to one of largest in USA.
- Created logistical system that allowed for care of 100 customers’ pets daily and more than 450 customers on as-needed basis with staff of 16.
- Sold company and it remains in operation.
Early Career Highlights
Promotional Marketing, Inc. Director, New Business Development
Cohn and Wolfe Public Relations Consultant
Event Manager, Professional Tennis Tournaments and Events
Directed and exceeded projected profits for seven professional tennis tournaments, and six events in six cities and four states over four years for one of world’s largest sports marketing firms.
- Twice generated more than $1.2M and netted more than $500,000 for United Cerebral Palsy, making the pro-celebrity four-day event UCP’s 2nd-largest fundraiser next to its telethon.
- Directed: Budget ($500K-$1.5M), staff, marketing, public relations, sponsorship, ticket sales, site and facility preparations, vendor bids, permits and contracts, commercial production, and network broadcast coordination.
Full Moon, Inc. Founder, owner, Sports and events Management firm
Kingdom, Inc.Executive Director, Team Tennis Commissioner
Awards, Boards, speaking engagements
Recipient, Hispanic Hero Award, MLS Soccer
- “Best Use of Twitter” by Crain’s Chicago Business (CPS)
- Keynote address, Retail 360 Conference, (for Latino retailers) Las Vegas (Best Buy)
- Panelist, Hispanic Sports Summit, New York, NY (Best Buy)
- Past Board member, Chicago Fire Foundation
- Past Chairperson, Chicago Sports Awards
- Member Silver Reggie Award winning team for “Best Buy All Access” promo in Chicago
- Multiple recipient of the “Chairman’s Award” at Best Buy
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, IL
- B.S. Journalism
- Sports Editor for Daily Egyptian, circulation 25,000
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
- Assistant Sports Information Director, Men’s Athletics and Broadcast Assistant, men’s basketball